Hi

Hi
(this is me)... in 1966-ish

Friday, March 27, 2009

5-4-3-2-1

Thursday 9:20pm
I learned something new today. Something I didn't know was missing in my life but now that I know about it - I vow to do it once per week..... Interval Training. It's a killer. You get on the torture machine of your choice (I chose the eliptical). The Instructor (Michelle today) stands there with a stop watch. After you're warmed up you exericse as hard as you can for 5 minutes, then when you think you're dead (and didn't make it into heaven), you slow down and work at a resting pace (enough to keep the machine from going into PAUSE) for 5 minutes. Then Michelle yells okay - GO! then for 4 minutes you pedal,step,cycyle or whatever you chose for 4 minutes as hard as you can... then 4 minutes resting work...then just as before you do 3, then 2 then 1... then 30 seconds. Before you know it you are sweaty and have worked about 40 minutes including warm-up and cool-down. I burned 400 calories in that 40 minutes (according to my Polar Heart monitor watch AND the machine)It was really hard and I'm delighted that I could do it. I worked very hard (hence the 400 cals BUT I worked hardest in the last 30 sec... cause I knew it would end)
Yesterday I believe was my 'meltdown day'. I became so exhausted after the hike that I couldn't concentrate or keep myself warm. I skipped 2 classes and slept. Thank God. Now, the next day, I feel great.
Today I:
got up at 6:20 after sleeping 7 and 1/2 hours. (yay!)
8:00am - hiked the West Canyon Hike. Beautiful, not as hard as the stop sign hike but my knees are both acting up. I hiked for 2 hours up and down hills in the most beautiful terrain that God could've thought up. (There will be pictures but I'm trying to get strong before I lug around my heavy camera) OH.... the hiking guides (of which there are MANY) take pictures of us all day while we're not looking. Apparently on Friday night they give each person a DVD of pictures of themselves and the scenery we're in. I know I will probably look like crap in the pictures... but I will have earned it.
10:30am - Yoga. (damn that downward dog pose) It was hard but I think it likes me!(I miss Zoe a lot)
12:00 - lunch, it was yummy as usual, it always is.
1:15 - Cooking demo from the Chef.
2:30 - Interval Training (which I may have mentioned was hard)
3:45 - swimming, then hot tub, then shower
5:00 - Dinner. Salmon pattie burgers & corn on the cob.
6:15 - talk on 'Intuitive eating' by the nutritionist. it was interesting and smart.
7:00 - AMERICAN IDOL.
Tomorrow I look forward to another new hike. It's cool and very windy but that beats hot weather for me anyday. Good night.

No comments: