Hi

Hi
(this is me)... in 1966-ish

Friday, April 10, 2009

Whining: The Sequel :-)




Friday morning

Bonnie's coming this afternoon. I'm really excited about that. I'm renting a car for the weekend so we can go out if we want. She will walk the 'Stop Sign' hike with me tomorrow morning. I'm sure the hardest part of that hike for her will be getting up at 7:15 am. (I get up at 6:30... I'm cutting her some slack). I've booked a 'salt glow' massage for her at 6pm tonight after dinner.... I'm having that before I leave next week. They rub you down with mineral salts that exfoliate every bad thing you ever experienced, then you take a shower.... then they give you a massage too. Cool. You're welcome Bonnie.


I'm not hiking this morning. I have an infected blister on my toe. (ain't that elegant?) It hurt more than anything and it scared me yesterday when I realized the seriousness of it; but I've soaked it in Epsom salts several times since then and it's improved tremendously. It's my own fault that it happened and now I've learned a lesson. (another one). I have to wrap up my blisters every morning (they're all mostly healed). It takes me about half an hour to do it -
  • First - get 'mole skin' (soft, chamois-like strips of bandages) and cut it the size you need. Now cut one more just like it.
  • Then cut a hole in it the size of your blister and place it on the area - blister exposed.
  • Get a piece of 'Nu-skin' (squishy gel like square) put it on the exposed blister area.
  • Put the extra mole skin piece on top.
  • Put duct tape over all - one sideways, one lengthwise (for heels - not toes, that's different).
  • Now do this for each blister. I had 4.

The reason my 'big-toe' blister got infected is because I consider it such a hassle to wrap them up each day, I kept the bandages on from 7am until about 3 or 4 when we have our last aerobic class. (so I wouldn't have to wrap them up again) I would wear socks to cover the bandages when doing Yoga. That was stupid, you're supposed to let blisters breathe! I will never be lazy again.

My knees are feeling better but they really hurt when I walk and that's disappointing. I've decided that I have to accept the fact that my knees will hurt this whole 4 weeks. Since I'm at the end of my 3rd week, I think this is an accurate prediction. After I lose more weight, I believe my knees will be better. I've stuck with West Canyon Hike all week. (2 pictures below)I walk 2 hours every morning on this mostly flat or gently inclined hike - but it has really hurt this week. Bummer. But I walk anyway and just concentrate on the music. Funnily enough, after the hike, I return, ice my knees, do yoga and 40 other classes and by the end of the day my knees are almost pain free.... but on the hike - ouch.

It's funny walking around the grounds here and seeing my friends getting smaller and smaller. Usually when you go on vacation - the people you are with do not physically change - but they do here. There are all fitness levels here. 1/3 of the people are pretty fit and come here to keep themselves fit and challenge themselves on advanced hikes and classes I don't even dare to peek at. 1/3 of the people are looking to get into better shape - a tune up sort of. They may have 10 - 15 pounds to lose. Then there's my group... people who need to lose more than 50 pounds (that's a nice way to put it I think). We're the ones with the most noticable physical changes. Everyone is so supportive of each other. We're all each other's mothers and friends. It's nice. When I discovered my blister.. I had several wise people to advise me and their advise has served me well. We laugh our heads off at dinner and there's a chance that we gossip a little now and then. It's like high school in a way. I have several friends who came here the same day as I who are staying 4 weeks also, that's a blessing. Tuesday, one of them told me that I had lost so much weight and that my face was slimmer.....and younger. I was flattered (and elated almost) until I noticed she was eyeing my chocolate covered strawberries. (back off)

Every week new people come in and old people go out. It is hard to see people leave whom I've come to know and enjoy being with BUT it's fabulous when the annoying ones leave after a week. There's one woman here now who is So WHINEY. I think she doesn't realize she's at bootcamp. When I see her I just run. She's very negative and brings people down. Unfortunately she's here another week. . . . . I'm glad she doesn't live in Hong Kong (one whiner there is enough) :-)

I won't get the tee shirt this week because this morning I'm not hiking (or doing the eliptical even). I'll join the other classes today but will skip one class to get Bonnie from the airport. I will get my tee shirt that last week and on this blog will be a picture of me in it.

No comments: